Brite Divinity School educates women and men to lead in the ministry of Christ’s church, the academy and public life as witnesses to God’s reconciling and transforming love and justice.
Dr. Ramsay serves as as Professor of Pastoral Theology and Pastoral Care at Brite Divinity School. She began her service at Brite in June of 2005. Prior to that time she served as the Harrison Ray Anderson Professor of Pastoral Theology at Louisville Presbyterian Theological Seminary in Louisville, KY. She holds a BA from the University of North Carolina at Greensboro, a D.Min from Union Theological Seminary in Virginia, and a Ph.D. from Vanderbilt University. She is active in the Society for Pastoral Theology where she has served as Chair of the Steering Committee and Co-Editor of the Journal of Pastoral Theology. She is a member of the Association of Practical Theology and the International Association for Practical Theology. She has also served at the regional and national levels of AAPC. She holds clinical memberships in the American Association of Pastoral Counselors and the American Association of Marriage and Family Therapists where she also has supervisor status. She is an ordained clergywoman in the Presbyterian Church (USA).
Nancy’s research and publication interests include current constructive issues in Pastoral and Practical Theology, pastoral perspectives on aging and Alzheimer’s Disease, gender, intimate violence, and addressing issues of race and class, and effective pedagogy in diverse classrooms. She is a Consultant for the Wabash Center and is serving for the second time on the leadership team for a Wabash Colloquy on Effective Teaching and Learning in Racially and Culturally Diverse Classrooms.
DegreesPh.D., Vanderbilt University, 1987.
D.Min., Union Theological Seminary in Virginia, 1975
B.A., University of North Carolina at Greensboro, 1971
ReligionPresbyterian Church (USA)
- Introduction to Ministry Studies
- Pastoral Care and Aging
- Pastoral Responses to the Experience of Aging
- Postcolonial Themes in Pastoral Care
- Sexuality, Race, and Class: Implications for Pastoral Theology
- The Pastor in the Context of Ministry
- Pastoral Care and Counseling: Redefining the Paradigms, Editor, Nashville: Abingdon, June 2004.
- Telling the Truth: Preaching About Sexual and Domestic Violence, Co-Editor with John S. McClure (Cleveland: Pilgrim Press, Fall 1998).
- Pastoral Diagnosis: A Resource for Ministries of Care and Counseling. Minneapolis: Fortress, Fall 1998.
Journal Articles, Book Chapters and Book Reviews
- “Intersectionality: A Model for Addressing the Complexity of Oppression and Privilege” in Pastoral Psychology Winter 2014, now online only at DOI: 10.1007/s11089-013-0570-4
- “Theological Education in a Secular Age: Challenges and Prospects” for a collected volume to be published by fall 2014 Wipf & Stock
- “Pastoral Counseling across Embodied Differences of Sexuality, Race, and Class,” for Sacred Spaces, a publication of AAPC submitted, fall of 2012 forthcoming
- "Social Justice Issues at the 2012 General Assembly," Unbound: An Interactive Journal of Christian Social Justice Oct 2012.
- Lectionary resources in Feasting on the Word commentary series, Vol. X, Louisville: WJKP, 2010. (John 14:15-21, Luke 24:44-53 and John 17:1-11)
- “Why is it so hard to Talk about Race?,” www.TheThoughtfulChristian.com, edited by David Maxwell. Louisville: Westminster John Knox Press, 2009.
- “Conversion Therapy” in Frequently Asked Questions, published by Covenant Network, March, 2006
- “Embracing Present Challenges,” Plenary Address for 26th ACPE/REM anniversary Conference, February 2012
- “The Complexity of Difference in Supervision: Pastoral and Theological Resources” ACPE National Convention Dallas October, 2007
- “Comments on a Brief Statement of Faith,” Kappel, Switzerland, Dec. 2005.
- “Created as Neighbors: a Vision for Honoring Racial and Cultural Difference” Edwards Lecture, Louisville Presbyterian Theological Seminary, February 2004
- “Navigating Racial Difference as a White Pastoral Theologian,” Plenary address, Society for Pastoral Theology, June 2002
International Academy of Practical Theology
American Academy of Religion
Society for Pastoral Theology
Association for Practical Theology
American Association of Pastoral Counselors
American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy