Brite College of the Bible
Brite Divinity School is one of the premier progressive theological institutions in the Southwest. Located on the Texas Christian University Campus in Fort Worth, Texas, Brite Divinity School prepares leaders by focusing on excellent scholarship, pastoral training, and spiritual development through ministerial and academic programs.
Texas Christian University was founded in 1873 by two brothers, Addison and Randolph Clark, both ministers of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ). In 1914 a generous gift from Mr. and Mrs. L. C. Brite, a West Texas rancher, funded Brite College of the Bible under a separate charter. When the charter was renewed in 1963, the name of the college was changed to Brite Divinity School. Since 1914, Brite has been a separate corporation with its own board, assets, and employees.
Although Brite Divinity School and Texas Christian University are independent institutions, they have a rich historical relationship and enjoy a shared heritage, affiliation, traditions, and values with the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ). Brite and TCU operate under a shared services agreement that articulates the University’s contractual commitment to provide essential administrative support, operational and maintenance services, and the vision of both institutions to assure a continuing spirit of mutual involvement, cooperation, and support for the benefit of students, staff, and faculty.
Brite Divinity School reports biennially to the Plenary Assembly of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in the Southwest. It is a member of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) Council on Theological Education of the Higher Education and Leadership Ministries.