Queer Art CallMay 19, 2010
Check out this call-out:
URGENT CALL FOR ART/PHOTOS ABOUT QUEER SPIRITUALITY AND ACTIVISM– DEADLINE MAY 24
Tikkun Magazine’s July/August issue will have a special section on LGBTQ spirituality, politics, and activism.
Please help us find good photos and art to use as illustrations!
You can send all JPGs, links, and ideas to art.tikkun.
We are a nonprofit with a limited art budget and ask for artists’ most charitable rates.
Here’s what we’re looking for:
- Any kind of fine art that evokes something about spirituality and queerness. This is an INTERFAITH magazine, and we need art related to Judaism, Christianity, Hinduism, Islam, Buddhism, Goddess religions, and more.
- Photos or paintings of queer or genderqueer or trans or same-gender-loving folks in the context of traditional religious spaces that they grew up in or are now part of (maybe holding hands or kissing outside or inside a synagogue, church, ashram, mosque, sangha, etc., or religious leaders with rainbow stoles or kippot or queer people engaging with religious texts or holding ritual objects)
- Photos or JPGs of paintings, prints or other sorts of fine art that evoke something about the socially transformative power of queer theory and LGBTQ political activism
- Photos of LGBTQ spiritual/religious events (i.e. people engaging in rituals or gatherings that have come out of different sorts of queer and trans theologies)
- Photos or paintings/drawings/prints of activists doing exciting work grounded in some mixture of queer politics, anti-racist commitments, and ideas of the intersectionality of oppressions.
Please pass along this call to your networks. All materials and questions should go to art.tikkun.
We need to receive art submissions ASAP — by Monday, May 24, ideally.